Many of you already heard the popularity of Pilates and Yoga exercises, but many of us are still often asked whether Pilates is a part of Yoga or no? Briefly, in this article I’ll discuss any differences between Pilates and Yoga exercises?
- Pilates is originated from Western philosophy, was born in the 20th century during the first world war in Germany. developed by Joseph Hubertus Pilates.
- Yoga is derived from eastern philosophy of Asia, born in India more than 5000 years ago and has a spiritual and philosophical elements in it.
- Pilates has six basic principles : centering, concentration, control, precision, breath and flow.
- Yoga has five basic principles : Asanas (movements), Pranayama (breathing), Saucha (diet), Dhyana (positive thinking & meditation), Savasana (complete relaxation).
- Pilates is a method of body treatment that focuses on the abdomen, breathing and serves to build up the body strength and a good posture. Pilates teaches about “body awareness.”
- Yoga is a method of stretching and flexibility in the muscles of the body. In addition, Yoga focus in synergy mind, body and spirit through a series of exercises, meditation techniques, stretching and breathing exercises.
- Pilates is a dynamic stretch the muscles which extend when you move. Research shows the benefits of dynamic stretching is for muscle recovery and reduce the risk of injury.
- Yoga has a static stretching. This means to hold the position while your muscles stretch.
- Pilates has only diaphragm breathing technique, which inhale through the nose and then exhale through the mouth.
- Yoga breath variation using multiple ways. There’s a pull breathing technique known as Vinyasa or Ashtanga and every move is calculated using the ancient Sanskrit language.
- Variations of Pilates movements usually done with small props such as Foam Roller, Magic Circle, Flex Bands and Gym Ball. For full equipment usually using Reformer, Cadillac, Wunda Chair, Ladder Barrel, and Spine Corrector.
- Variations of Yoga usually using some small props like yoga block and ropes.
Choosing between Pilates or Yoga is a very personal decision. Of course, both of Pilates and yoga can be a great way to train the body balance, flexibility and breathing, even make you look more youthful and fresh. So, choose your own way how to be healthy, guys!